Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Mixed Bizniss

I've been cooped up in my room like the timid introvert I am recently, and it's the fault of two fascinating diversions. I've created a 2007 edition of the famous Andrew Roff Best Songs Ever compilation, and it's pure listening ambrosia. (aside: I tried to export the tracklist, but iTunes will only spit it out as a poorly formatted .txt file or a poorly formatted .xml file. I need a stylesheet to get it on to a web page).

The other demand on my time is a new mod I downloaded for Civilization IV. It's called the 'Realism mod' and it's meant to give players a more accurate simulation of combat, diplomacy and technology advancement.

So far it's been fun if a little anachronistic - in 400BC, playing as the Chinese, I used my generals Adolf Hitler and Saddam Hussein to invade Japan. That's realism for you in this post-modern world, I guess.

In other news, I got the reading list for my elective uni topic 'Law and Literature' yesterday. It seems we'll be spending a couple of lessons discussing Isaac Asimov's I, Robot stories. That is so wicked. We're studying a lot of other cool stuff too, and other law students have said the topic's basically run like a book club. I already know what I'm going to do my assignment on: Arthur Miller's play The Crucible.

Guitar Hero News
Seems I got some dates mixed up in the rules I posted a while back. Song selections have to be in by Sunday 15 July, and the contest will be on Saturday 28 July (I'd said Saturday 29 July, which is just wrong). I've made the appropriate changes to the rules.

I was feeling confident about my chances, but my Playstation's broken and I won't get it back until next Monday at the earliest. So Chris has a golden opportunity to get a headstart on me. Song selections should be interesting...

8 comments:

Chris said...

okay

its time. to select a song(s)

first choice is

surrender - medium
less talk more rokk - medium


backup is message in a bottle - medium in case andrew chooses one of mine

that is all

nels thinks we should have a pro face off battle for free bird. i agree, however, play once each seperatley, then once together.

-Chris

Chris said...

also...

im inviting the party to be at my house, as the projector is a party piece and the sound system is da bomb, however, if andrew feels this to be too much of a home ground advantage for me, the judge may decide.

Hungry George said...

I suppose us observers can't throw in a suggestion of Jessica?

Chris said...

i haven't selected it, but i do think its a good one to throw in, i'm expecting that we should have a jam session afterwards... lots of pro face off's... being that we have two guitars for once

Andrew said...

Chris, I haven't selected song #2 just yet, but my first song is going to be:

War pigs - hard

Hopefully I'll get my playstation back on Friday. otherwise I'll just have to pick a song without having practiced it in a while.

I'm amenable to your suggestion of free bird once each, then an additional pro face off. But in that case I'd vary the order of play a bit, as follows:

***

-Contestant One plays Free Bird
-Both Contestants play contestant one's first song
-Both Contestants play contestant two's first song

break

-Contestant Two plays Free Bird
-Both Contestants play contestant one's second song
-Both Contestants play contestant two's second song

break

-Free Bird - pro face off battle for DOUBLE POINTS (to keep it interesting)

***

What do you think?

I'm happy for the party to be at your house. Playing GH on a projector rocks.

ktkat said...

Hey andrew, if youre having issues with the missing playstation you can come and practice at our house, Im used to hearing hours of guitar hero anyway... it would also help you get used to the system and minimise the home ground advantage.

I will need to make a lot of space in my fridge for beer, red bull and jager arent I?

Hungry George said...

Jager bombs!!!

Andrew said...

Hey Katie, thanks for the offer but I just got a call this morning that my playstation's been fixed. I'll get it back this evening and drive my flatmates crazy with a dose of Free Bird.

And yes, fridge space could be useful. Jager bombs indeed.