Monday, June 4, 2007

Bus anecdotes - and a question of etiquette

So I was on the bus the other night, minding my own business, listening to a bit of crazy 80s style synth metal on my mp3 player. Shut up, you probably listen to the Backstreet Boys when you're alone, so don't judge me!

Anyway, the bus was reasonably crowded, but I had one of the few spare seats next to me. As it happened, the row of seats behind me also had only one occupant. That occupant happened to be someone who can only fairly be described as a homeless guy.

The bus stopped, and the doors swung open. On stepped another man who, once again, seemed to be domiciliarily challenged. That is to say, I think he was homeless, and I shall dub him HG2 for the purposes of the anecdote. Now, picture me in my shiny new suit, HG1 behind me. HG2 has swiped his ticket, and is bearing down on us. I like to think of myself as a man of the people, but I must confess I was thinking I'd rather you didn't sit next to me, if that's alright with you

And here's the fascinating thing: HG2 takes one look at me, sizes me up, and walks past my seat to sit with HG1. I'm ashamed to say I feel a bit relieved. I'm also ashamed to say I felt slightly indignant. I'd just been snubbed by a homeless man.


A question of etiquette
Is it okay to talk on your mobile phone when you’re on the bus? When other people do, it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable, like I’m eavesdropping on their conversation. There’s nothing I can really do not to hear it, but I still feel a bit uneasy. What do you guys think? Does it depend on the conversation you’re having? How loud you’re talking? How many other people there are around you?

A bus is a difficult social scene. Actually, I am so over busses it's not funny. When it's freezing and the bus decides not to come? I'm over that. When fat people take up lots of space? I'm over that. Seeing moderately attractive women (for some reason they never seem to be really attractive on my bus route) and never being able to talk to them because you're on a bus and that would be a creepy thing to do? My friends, I am over that.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

personally, i'm over trams. crowded and small. i'm also over trains. crowded and large. as if a 4 six carriage trains in a row are completely full. public transport in melb is crap.

speaking of fat people who take up lots of space, there was massively obese man on my tram the other day - he took up two seats and then still spewed forth into the aisle, and then yelled when someone tried to walk past. bah.

public transport sucks.

trent said...

At least it is giving you things to write about people! Don't get lazy and switch to driving - expensive, adds to traffic jams, environment blah blah blah.
But I am thankful that I no longer have to put up with commuting.

Up here in the summery north of Europe, the most common phrase I heard at first was "Mä oon bussis", meaning "I am on the bus". On the 10 minute bus ride I took to uni during the winter, this phrase could be heard at least 6 or 7 times from people talking on their mobiles.

Andrew said...

Now I've got this mental picture of crazy Finnish people randomly wandering around and saying "Mä oon bussis" to strangers, whether they are on a bus or not.

trent said...

It is my challenge to you Andrew, if you ever come to this part of the world, to do exactly that to random people on the street. Get someone to tape it. Post it on youtube.