Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Laksa Time!

For the last three days I've been working at a law firm a stone's throw away from the central markets. On Monday, I had Suzuki Sushi for lunch. Mmmm, that's good sushi.

On Tuesday, I had Suzuki Sushi for lunch. Then I had Sushi King for tea.

By the time lunch came around today, I was (a) sick of sushi; and (b) hungry as all getup. There was only one solution: a Laksa House Large Laksa Noodle for $6.80!

I was a bit hesitant, because eating Laksa is generally a messy business, and I was wearing the suit that I'll be living in for (at least) the next five and a half weeks. Nevertheless, the call was too strong. I ordered from the friendly Laksa woman, and she looked at me like I was mad. She made a point of giving me extra serviettes. She said: 'I give you some extra serviettes'.

Suitably warned, I took my tray, and balancing a full bowl of steaming Laksa and a Peach Iced Tea, headed for a vacant seat. The food court was busy, and I sat down diagonally opposite a friendly looking man with no obvious signs of disease. I started to eat. VERY carefully.

I'm pleased to report that I managed to stay completely free of tricky laksa stains. I also got that amazing laksa high you get after a good laksa (try it, you'll see!). Tonight I went jogging, and the laksa helped overcome my lack of commitment to a regular training regime.

All in all, a good day.



In other news

Julian: Bottle Baby!

Jerry Falwell has died. I really try hard not to express happiness at the death of another human being, but perhaps there's an exception to every rule. Here's something funny related to this piece of news. Extract:

Buddha: I think he should go back for another few lifetimes. We could start him off as a tadpole.

Vishnu: That's your answer to everything, Buddha!

Buddha: Take it easy, third-eye.

Vishnu: Oh, go sit under a tree!

Jesus: Could we not talk about trees?

6 comments:

Hungry George said...

Good post.

Of course, it's a bit concerning that, after trying to project the image of a promising young lawyer, the people down at Chinatown don't even trust you to eat a Laksa without messing up your suit.

BTW, was this the Laksa place you took me to a while ago? They had some damn nice Laksa, we need to go again.

Jono said...

I died the other day. It's not so bad. They make good special fried rice on the other side.

Andrew said...

Damn nice Laksa. DAMN nice.

Hungry George said...

Jono: Pfft, I was doing it before it became cool.

Andrew: Damn nice.

Anonymous said...

OK, this blog is like a day in Rani time. Suzuki sushi - specifically the spicy tuna is my favourite of all time, and moreover Laksa HOUSE!!!! Did you notice the 'wet ho fun' and 'dry ho fun' you can also order???

However, I do feel as though the Laksa House laksa is the plastic cheese of laksa. That high you are getting is the msg - can't you see it awash in what I can only assume is palm oil (I don't know if palm oil is even edible)??? Try the other food court, and try the dumpling laksa... that is fantasmical laksa...:) Or Asian Gourmet - they have some crazy Sarawak Laksa... that is also good laksa...

Ok enough from me about laksa - see I read this blog but it was laksa that made me comment!

Andrew said...

Wow. I'm off to try me some dumpling laksa.