Thursday, August 2, 2007

A critique

Three - that's the number of 'mature age' students I've identified in my Law and Literature class after our first seminar. Now, I use the term 'mature age' as shorthand for any student who possesses the unshakeable belief that anything that issues from their mouth is insightful and fascinating to those around them. 'Mature age' students think that everyone turns up to class only to hear them speak. They will happily interrupt and contradict the lecturer if they think they can 'add' something to the discussion.

These additions often take the form of a long anecdote about some personal experience that is only tangentially related to the topic at hand. Occasionally they chuck in an embarrassing religious view or a sweeping statement on 'who is to blame' for the social problem at hand that does nothing to advance the debate.

As it happens, two of the three 'mature age' students in my class are mature age students. The other young woman has no excuse whatsoever. We've also got two emos. At this early stage, it seems like the emos will pepper the class with comments, some of which will be extremely insightful, but most of which will be... well, postmodern emo rubbish.

Now, don't get me wrong. I think it's great to have discussion-based classes at university. And most of the people doing law are intelligent, decent, and courteous human beings. A stimulating discourse is possible in such an environment. But when a few people monopolise the conversation just to hear the sound of their own voices, the signal-to-noise ratio drops dramatically.

If I was running a seminar, I'd employ a system whereby everyone could make a maximum number of comments per session. I'd suggest two per person per hour. That way, people would only speak if they had something meaningful to say. It would also let some of the less domineering people get more engaged with the class.

I guess the reason I'm a bit worked up about this is that Law and Literature looks like it has the potential to be a really interesting, thought-provoking topic. Here's hoping it doesn't get hijacked by the lowest common denominator.


Oh, and by the way...
...this is post #100 for our humble blog. Who would ever have thought we'd make it this far? Let's hope the next hundred posts are as enlightening and lively as this lot, and let's see some more participation from some of our less prolific members. Tell you what: the more you guys write, the less I will. Now that's an offer you can't refuse!

5 comments:

Kate said...

There are always going to be issues when you get a group of lawyers in a room together.

The nature of the profession is that your opinion IS better than everyone elses so perhaps you are inadvertently learning a skill from these 'Mature Aged' students. :o)

Alice said...

I don't know what you guys (Andrew) are complaining about I consider most of the mature age students in my course good friends.

But I guess thats the nature of the beast after all if you do law your going to end up with people who like to hear themselves speak.

Andrew said...

No, but that's what I'm saying, there's a difference between 'mature age' student and a mature age student. I know lots of mature age students doing law who are thouroughly decent people. Conversely, I know a couple of young people who are total 'mature age' students.

On the whole, though, it seems like a higher proportion of mature age students are 'mature age' students.

[N.B. this comment makes total sense].

Alice said...

does affirming the fact that the comment makes sense help matters???

Hungry George said...

That's a very mature age student way of affirming your logic, Andrew...