Monday, August 6, 2007

Musings

So the Shins gig last night got me thinking about music, and about albums, and about how musicians put albums together. As Julian will attest, I have strong views about the structure of albums. I believe that great albums are more than just the sum of their songs.

More specifically, I got to thinking about what makes a good opening track for an album. I was thinking this because the Shins opened their concert last night with tracks #1 (Sleeping lessons) and #2 (Australia) off their most recent album. And that was pure genius.

My humble theory is that an opening track on an album needs to be a palate cleanser. It exists to make you forget any music you've just been listening to; to wake you up, maybe even shock you; to say 'hey, you're listening to us now. I think the best opening tracks are uncomplicated, simple, relatively short, and very melodic.

Some other great opening tracks:
- 'Hindley Street' off Powderfinger's Internationalist album
- 'Rockin' Rocks' off Powderfinger's Vulture Street
- 'One Crowded Hour' off Augie March's Moo, You Bloody Choir
- 'As I Sat Sadly By Her Side' off Nick Cave's And No More Shall We Part
- 'Jenny Don't Be Hasty' off Paolo Nutini's These Streets
- '2 + 2 = 5' off Radiohead's Hail to the Thief

Can you guys think of some other awesome opening tracks? What about closing tracks? What makes a good last track on an album?


P.S: for the record, the Shins were fantastic. They play a style of music that doesn't really lend itself to a live concert, but they were tight and the sound mix was fantastic. I came out of the concert thinking that it was a good but not great show. But that night I couldn't get to sleep for thinking about the show. The next morning I woke up hearing 'Australia' in my head, and with an intense desire to play some Shins music. Like a good film sometimes isn't good until you realise you're still thinking about it a week later, now I think it's one of the best concerts I've been to.

3 comments:

Andrew said...

I don't write well at this time of day. What an awkward post.

Julian said...

I believe that great albums are more than just the sum of their songs.

As do I. :o)

I agree - the opening track really does need to be strong, though not the strongest song on an album. I mean (for a shared reference point) take Checkout Cutie - it's probably the most accessible song off 'Tabloid Blues', but not the best.

Interesting side note - I went to go see Ok Go the other weekend (which was bloody fantastic, by the way) and they actually started their set with the last track off their most recent album. A bold move, to be sure, but an effective one.

Oooh, another great one - Airbag. Man, I love that song.

- J

Andrew said...

Wise words.