Monday, April 16, 2007

Melbourne, Day Three

Technically, this post is a bit misleading, since this is actually my fourth day in Melbourne. I tried to write a post last night, I really did, but I just didn't get around to it. That's actually an incredibly poor excuse given that yesterday was the first day where literally nothing happened. Honestly. I woke up (late), Julian had a hangover, Julian hugged lots of people, I ate something at some point during the day, and then went to sleep after watching lots of Stargate. Essentially, a normal Adelaide day, but in a crazy city.

Since, basically, nothing worth putting in a blog happened yesterday, I was a bit concerned about writing another blog post again. The question on my mind was, what was better? Writing often about nothing, or sparingly about something? Julian was no help in answering this question, as he was too busy playing bad guitar tunes, and listening to a song for about two seconds before switching to the next.

While I'm writing this, though, something has occurred to me. This blog was started, according to Andrew, because none of us led interesting enough lives to have an interesting blog on our own. This is a pretty interesting point, simply because of another comment Andrew made on my previous Melbourne post - namely, that I seemed to be a much more interesting person while in Melbourne.

So, the question becomes, what defines an interesting person? If we're to believe Andrew, it involves going to see Dylan Moran, and also thinking about how to improve handling on Amish carts. On the random topic of Amish people, I also found out the other day that they don't wear moustaches because they believe moustaches are associated with the military. I guess that means this guy would rather make war than love...

At any rate, back to my original rambling point, does my going to see Dylan Moran make me an interesting person? Admittedly, Moran's a fantastic comedian, and really interesting to see live, but does that make me an interesting person for going to see him? Does Moran's interesting nature rub off onto me, much like some humour-based piece of bacterium?

Now, this bit of thought led me to something else, which was, maybe this is only happening because it's interesting that I'm in another city, watching Dylan Moran, while thinking about the Amish. Maybe there has to be a critical mass of interesting things that all happen at once before enough interesting things happen that people start to define me as an interesting person.

From here, my mind just arched to a really interesting possibility. What if we made a pact with ourselves, whereby we would not allow ourselves to go home after work and simply collapse but, instead, make sure that at least three interesting things happened that involved us each day. If nothing was happening then, by God, we'd go out and make something happen, whether it was watching a particularly good movie, learning how to play a new tune on a particular instrument, or even flirting with that cute girl that we've always wanted, but have been too nervous to go after. Hell, it doesn't matter if we don't succeed at any of the above, as long as we tried - failures can be interesting too.

I think that's about enough rambling for now, but I hope everyone has a bit of a think about what I've said, and tries to see if they can manage, even for one week, doing three interesting things every day.


EDIT: Corrected some proof reading errors, added more hyperlinks

3 comments:

Andrew said...

The most interesting thing you've done today is suggest that moustaches are obsessed with the military. What, do they accumulate war memorabilia and tell boring anecdotes about their time in 'Nam?

I thought the worst they did was accumulate toast crumbs, but I guess you learn something new every day.

Unknown said...

whenever i see a large number of links to wikipedia, i'm reminded of one of my favourite webcomics. my brain is too overloaded currently to remember how to do post a link, which i think is ironic, considering thats what's prompted my comic, but then again i've never really been clear of the definition of ironic. i just hear that annoying song.

without further rambling.

http://www.xkcd.com/c214.html

trent said...

it's like raaaiiiiiiinnnn.....

I think that people do more things when they're outside of their comfort zone, in other surroundings, with other people. It's easier said than done to do it at home. Which is why I'm staying away for a while :p