Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Odds & Ends

I've noticed that a large proportion of blog posts seem to exist purely to point people in the direction of other blogs or web pages. One sometimes wonders whether there is any actual content on the 'net at all. Still, I like to think I am pro-recycling, and I don't see why recycling other people's thoughts should be any different. Thus I present a few diversions for your enjoyment/edutainment.

An interesting blog
Ever been in a taxi and had a conversation with a taxi driver? I have. We talked about the prevalence and location of brothels in Adelaide. Apparently, on a per capita basis, Adelaide has an extraordinary number of them. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that taxi drivers seem to be interesting people, and now one of them blogs about the trials and tribulations of being a cabbie in Sydney. Thus: Cablog. A good read for a slow afternoon at work.

What happens when a leftie takes power in Europe
The BBC has released a nifty little flash game that allows you assume the presidency of Europe over the coming century. Your goal is to lower greenhouse gas emissions and stave off the worst effects of climate change, all while maintaining a healthy public approval rating. You can play the game here (just click 'open' below the picture). This was my result:



If you're too lazy to click on the image, I basically ran Europe's economy into the ground to produce a paradise for hippies and dole bludgers. For this I was very highly regarded by the populace. I also managed to land people on Mars. If you play the game, I would be very interested to see/hear about your results.

Heavy, man
Finally, I'd strongly recommend a visit to Australians All. It's a site set up by a group of prominent Australians who argue for a less... shit approach to foreign relations and multiculturalism than has been taken by the current government. Alas, there are no funky animations or humorous top 100 lists, but there are excellent, thought-provoking arguments about subjects ranging from the plight of David Hicks to immigration policy.

If you want somewhere to start, try this article. It's by Malcolm Fraser, a former Australian PM (but you guys knew that already, right? right??). He compares the current climate vis-a-vis the Muslim situation to anti-Japanese WWII propaganda, and quotes Robert Menzies to show the futility (among other adjectives) of this approach.

No comments: