Tuesday, February 6, 2007

My favourite writing dude

There are a lot of authors that I hold in the greatest of esteem. If I had to pick a favourite it'd probably result in a four-way WWF-style cage match between Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, Stephen Donaldson and James Clavell. The two 50s sci-fi writers would probably have an edge because they've been dead for a number of years and would therefore be possessed of some super zombie powers. Though, come to think of it, when you hold people in great esteem, you probably shouldn't exhume their corpses and reanimate them to amuse the lowest elements of American 'society'.

Even hypothetically.

Anyway, I feel like I'm losing the thread of the original point I wanted to make. And that point is this: most of the authors that I admire write in a style that I could never hope to emulate. I'll never have the effortless knack of 'clear glass' writing that Asimov does; nor could I build tension or evoke sympathy for an anti-hero like Donaldson.

But then there's this guy, Chris Onstad, who's responsible for what I think is the cleverest writing I've ever seen on the 'net. He's the creator of the Achewood comic strip (awesome in its own right), but like a lot of online comic writers I actually enjoy his blogs even more than his comic strips. His style is idiosyncratic, but I can't help thinking it's achievable. I could write like that if I really wanted to, and made repeated concerted efforts. At least, that's my theory. So have a read of his stuff, particularly this amusing little golf memoir, and revelations about his ancestry

A final thought: what a dynamic, thriving little blog this is turning out to be! My favourite alliteration for today is "predeliction for this particular pleasantry". Possibly the best thing that Alice has ever written; my earnest hope is that she somehow managed to slip that phrase into her thesis.

2 comments:

trent said...

I agree, this blog is surprisingly good. Reading everyone's ramblings and thoughts and fears and such. Although the English in some posts (ok, just this current post Andrew!) is getting too much for me and is making my head hurt. That's the trouble with hanging around non-native English speakers for so long. But it's good for me to read it anyway.

Cheers for the link, the favour has been returned in kind.

Julian said...

Andy, have you been reading the Penny Arcade newsposts again? :oP

One of my favourite authors to read is Terry Pratchett - whether you like the books or not, the style of writing is superb. The fact he can cram about 3 jokes in a line means they're eminently re-readable, and they just go down so easy! I've started re-reading Hitch-Hiker's again, so I get to reacquaint myself with Messr. Adams. Just have to keep remembering to hear Peter Jones' voice....