Sunday, February 4, 2007

Two posts in as many days? I'm turning into Andrew*!

So I return, yet again, only a short day later.

Hobart has really put on some nice weather for us this weekend - it's been quite sunny, but not over-hot, so pleasant overall. True, it gets colder at night, but that happens. It's kind of like Adelaidean spring, if that makes sense.

But there's a lot going on down here - The Violent Femmes and Sarah Blasko are doing gigs over the next two weeks, as well as comedian Akmal Saleh, whilst there is a Shakespeare-in-the-Park version of Taming of the Shrew on too. May as well keep cultural, y'know? We also finished the first season of Arrested Development last night, so we bought season 2. But to string that joy out a little longer, first we're watching some Farscape, which is fun, if only to catch the Aussie actors in what superficially appears to be rather American sci-fi. Though Im tells me that soon it gets very good, and I have reason to trust her.

But the main purpose of this post is yet for more reccomendations, even after my last post's incessant raving, but this time for the newly released movie Stranger Than Fiction. You may have heard of it - I cannot praise it highly enough. It is the most textured, lush, heartwarming film I have seen in a long while. Will Ferrell is not everyone's taste as a leading man (Imogen in particular is not a fan of his comedies) but we both absolutely loved it, as he gives a superb, restrained performance, whilst still being genuinely amusing. The less you know about the movie when you see it, the more I think you will get out of it, so go see it now. It's worth it. Oh, and it also features Maggie Gyllenhal, Emma Thompson and Dustin Hoffman, who's always entertaining (I ♥ Huckabees, anyone?).

Oh, and another movie to see is Guillermo del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth, which is awesome in the very literal sense of the word - awe-inspiriing. It's also (at times) quite violent, so beware if you're squeamish, but it's worth it if you can stomach it. One note: del Toro has stated that despite the lead character being a child, it's not a child's movie, but rather 'a movie about being a child'. He actually wrote an interesting article on the movie (and some of his other films) in the latest issue of Empire magazine, so maybe have a look if you see copy.

But we're not planning to engorge ourselves down here on just films and DVDs - I'm about to re-read Neil Gaiman's American Gods and Im is currently reading her new purchase, 'The Pirates! in an Adventure with Communists' - how can it be bad??

But for now, auf wiedersehn, and we shall all meet again...

*except not.

4 comments:

Andrew said...

We saw Pan's Labyrinth the other week and I have to agree with you - good but violent. Im's book sounds like it's co-written by Sid Meier and Karl Marx. What a combination that would be...

Andrew said...

Oh yeah, and I meant to say, I'm very seriously considering going to Womad on the Sunday. Lior and the Waifs are persuasive, but my defences were broken down by a sustained campaign of Shock and Augie.

How clever of me.

Andrew said...

Ooh! Another comment from me. Actually, more of a question. How did you get that *heart* symbol into your post?

Julian said...

For the *heart* symbol, go visit your CharMap in your Start menu.

As for WOMAD, I'm going Saturday (Augie are playing then too), seeing as I have to be driving back to Melbourne on the Sunday...